7/6/20

Old Testament Blessings - Eternal - Post 1/12

Continuing my analysis of the Old Testament.  Last post I shared some of the more frequent blessings ("A Blessed Land" and "Joy").   Now I want to put them into categories.  Here's the 12 categories:

Cut me a little slack. This is totally based on my opinion of what category they fit in since often a blessing could fit in multiple categores, but I tried to split them up evenly.

For this post I'll discuss some of the eternal blessings promised - blessings that require us to have a hope for the future.  There were 85 times an eternal blessing was promised for righteousness.

There were various forms of "being saved".

Salvation (mentioned 41 times)
Psalms 85:7
Shew us thy mercy, O LORD, and grant us thy salvation.
Psalms 85:9
Surely his salvation is nigh them that fear him; that glory may dwell in our land.
Isaiah 33:22
For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; he will save us.

Lifted up sounds similar to me
Psalms 28:9
Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever.

Although it's technically different exaltation is in the same category
Isaiah 52:13
Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high.

As is being redeemed, although sometimes authors use this to just mean "out of trouble"
Deuteronomy 15:15
And thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in the land of Egypt, and the LORD thy God redeemed thee: therefore I command thee this thing to day.
Isaiah 43:1
But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.

Justification is in the same vein
Isaiah 45:25
In the LORD shall all the seed of Israel be justified, and shall glory.

Being accepted by God can happen in this life, but to me it felt like an eternal blessing
Genesis 4:7
If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

That acceptance can go to the level that you become a child of God
1 Chronicles 22:10
He shall build an house for my name; and he shall be my son, and I will be his father; and I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel for ever.

And you're going to say "No! We're automatically children of God, we don't have to be righteous to earn that".  Well there are scriptures that say being a child of  God is a blessing for the righteous
Hosea 1:10
Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.

Abide forever is interseting - it hints that it's a blessing to not have your righteousness remembered
Psalms 125:1
They that trust in the LORD shall be as mount Zion, which cannot be removed, but abideth for ever.

There is a subtle truth here - all the good that you do can be erased through unworthiness.  I certainly know what that means.  It is a blessing to have your righteouss deed endure.
Psalms 112:3
Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever.
Psalms 112:6
Surely he shall not be moved for ever: the righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance.
Psalms 112:9
He hath dispersed, he hath given to the poor; his righteousness endureth for ever; his horn shall be exalted with honour.

Which I think is in the same spirit as abiding forever
Psalms 125:1
They that trust in the LORD shall be as mount Zion, which cannot be removed, but abideth for ever.

The Lord's face to shine on us makes me think of his love
Psalms 119:135
Make thy face to shine upon thy servant; and teach me thy statutes.
Ezekiel 39:29
Neither will I hide my face any more from them: for I have poured out my spirit upon the house of Israel, saith the Lord GOD.

Which reminds me of the Tree of life mentioned by Lehi
Proverbs 11:30
The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.

The promised land (a different blessing under the financial section) is meant to be symbolic of heaven.  Moses didn't get to go in, but he did get to see it, which I think is a type of blessing and reminds me of John 3:5.
Deuteronomy 34:4
And the LORD said unto him, This is the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, saying, I will give it unto thy seed: I have caused thee to see it with thine eyes, but thou shalt not go over thither.


No comments:

Post a Comment