11/6/11

Sunday Computer Games


I often ask the youth what their parents have said about computer games on Sunday. Their responses are impressive - the parents have rules that are clear and have been explained. This is impressive because to my knowledge the authorities of the church have never laid down any rules, yet parents have realized this is a topic that cannot be ignored. When I was a child computer games were rather new, so it was up to my brother and I to decide what was acceptable.

I have fond memories of the two of us spending the entire Sunday crawling through level after level on some game. Many of the games required us to take turns, and since my brother was a better player his turns usually lasted longer.

One Sunday after church and lunch I remarked to my brother, "First one to the Nintendo gets to play first!" He grabbed a church magazine and shocked me,
"You go ahead, I don't think I'll play today." I was stunned,
"Why not?"
"It's Sunday. I've decided not to play games on Sunday anymore."

I thought about that.  It was a profound statement from my older brother.  I had been taught in primary, and I understood the principle of sabbath observance.  After thinking for a moment I came to the conclusion that I believe was the only natural one for me:

"Cool!  That means I don't have to share at all!"

I rushed downstairs and played the whole day away and had a great time.  Then the next Sunday came.

"Are you going to play today?"
"No, Scott, it's Sunday."
"Cool!  I know exactly which game I want to play!"

And again I had a great time.  It was so neat to have no school, no Saturday chores, and no one to share the Nintendo with.  The next week came.

"I'm going to play, you coming?"
"Nope"
"Great!"

And I had a great time playing without my brother who wouldn't play because of some silly Sunday rule.  Obviously he felt like it was a sin, even though he hadn't told me I was wrong.  My brother never budged - once he made a decision he was stable, but I was confident when he saw what he was missing out on he would change his mind.  Especially since that week we had just bought a new game.

"Hey, I'm going to play the new game - are you coming?"
"Nope"
"Great - I bet I get past the level you've been working on!"

Sitting in front of the TV my mind couldn't help but think about my older brother's decision.  "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy" (Exodus 20:8) is pretty cut and dried.  Would this computer game count as "holy"?  It wasn't a commandment to not play computer games, but "For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward" (D&C 58:26).  Obviously he believed there was some blessing he would get, and whatever it was I wanted it too.

I put down the controller and decided not to play on Sunday anymore.  That first week I missed it - like an extra day of fasting.  But each week the definition of "Sunday" started to change.  It wasn't about playing games, in fact it wasn't even about me - it was about the Lord.  After some time I found Sunday was a chance to put myself right with the Lord. 

My brother never preached what he believed, he never told me that I was wrong, and I never told him I had quit because of him, but his quiet example had a profound impact.  I began to search for other ways to make the sabbath special, and I found Sunday became a delight.  Sometimes the best lessons are taught by living what I believe is true.




No comments:

Post a Comment