6/5/11

Calling Roger

When my father was a councilor in the Stake Presidency he was asked to call a new Sunday School President.  He dedicated himself to prayer and pondering.  As he thought about it he decided a man in the stake named Roger would be a good pick.  Roger always faithfully attended church with his wife Diana and their children.  He looked up Roger in the ward list and asked him to bring in his wife for an interview.

He sat down with this good man and his wife, and explained that he wanted Roger to be the Sunday School President.  He explained some of the duties that would be required, which is why he asked Roger's wife to be there.  At the end he asked if they would accept the call.  He accepted the call.  My father asked if anyone had any questions.

Roger asked, "Just one: Why did you ask me?  I haven't been to church in years."

My dad blinked and thought.  Suddenly it occurred to him that Diana had brown hair, but this woman had black hair.  He said,

"Well, it's like I was explaining to your wife... um.... I am so sorry, I've forgotten your name..."
"My name's Tiffany"

Then it clicked.
There are two Rogers in my dad's stake, and this was the other Roger.  He had called the wrong Roger.

My Dad leaned back and prayed.  The steps for receiving revelation are simple: "But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right." (D&C 9:8).  He had given it serious thought, and he felt good about it when he made the call.  He felt good about it as he talked with this brother.  He felt good about it when he had asked him to accept the call.  It made sense that this was a good man to fill this position.  "Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart." (D&C 8:2).   My father asked the Lord if this was the right Roger to be the Sunday School President.  His heart told him it was.

"Well, Roger, honestly I don't know.  I prayed and pondered, and you were the one the Lord led me to.  This calling will require inspiration, so I guess it is fitting that you were called by inspiration."

Apparently Roger was a full participator in the church as of that day.  He fulfilled that calling perfectly and others after that.  The hand of the Lord was evident.  I have asked my dad why he thinks the Lord did things that way instead of prompting him to call the right Roger in the first place.  My dad doesn't know, perhaps he wouldn't have accepted the prompting, perhaps he needed to learn about accepting the Lord's way, maybe it allowed him to give this brother the right approach.  What I have learned is to move forward when the Lord asks me to do something.  It  can be tempting to let mistakes - even accidental ones - stop me from continuing forward, but "we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)

No comments:

Post a Comment