6/15/11

Husband: That's a Good Idea

One late night in Denver Teasha made a run to the store.  As she pulled up to the cashier with a cart full of groceries the kind lady mentioned that Teasha had quite a load of food.  My wife explained that she was hoping to cook some new recipes, but she also needed basic stuff that the toddler Thomas would eat.  The cashier asked Teasha what her job was.  Teasha said she stayed at home to care for her child.

This woman gave her a shocked look: "You don't work, but you can afford all this food?!  I would love to stay at home with my baby, but I have to come here to earn money.  How on Earth can you buy a cart full of food if you don't have a job?"

To Teasha the answer was so obvious she couldn't understand why this lady looked perplexed, "Well, my husband works... he's an actuary and I stay home when he goes to work."

The cashier said, "Aaah!  I see, a husband.  That's a good idea.  I can see how that could work."

No kidding - no sarcasm, she genuinely had forgotten that people used to get married, and that mothers used to stay home and care for their children.  In a world where divorce is expected and mothers who stay home are lazy I think we may see more of this in the future.  Teasha was astonished that this woman had not seriously thought of being married to the father of her child.  Perhaps the time will come that a home with two parents will be considered wierd.

When marriage became unimportant in ancient times the Lord said, "And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man," (Genesis 6:1-3).   The next story in the Bible is the flood.  If we lose marriage from our society we will be in danger of great curses from the Lord.  He is too merciful to allow more children to grow up in a culture where families are not united in love.

I have tried to teach my children to expect marriage, and to see the roles of mother and father as sacred.  I want them to consider their children more precious than all the gold in the world, "For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" (Matthew 16:26).  If they hope to get into heaven alone they will be dissapointed, for "neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord." (1 Corinthians 11:11).  For my daughter having a husband is not just a good idea, it is a commandment.

No comments:

Post a Comment