6/13/11

The Lethal Grade

Being a teacher can be a lot of fun.  I get to see a different group of clientele every semester, and often there are students who were certain they would do poorly, and they are thrilled to realize they can understand the class.  Then there are other students who make teaching not so fun.... the ones who are certain they deserve an A, and they are dumbfounded when they realize they will not pass.  Then they desperately cast about for some way to save themselves.

One of the teachers who inspired me to pursue academics was Mark Leavitt.  One semester we had worked with an elderly student I will call Bill.  Bill had been in the army decades before, and was now trying to go back through school to better his career options.  I tutored him for his math class that was taught by Mark.  Unfortunately math was not his strong subject.  His grade in introductory algebra was below 50%, but his goal was to earn an A in the course.  Towards the end of the semester it was clear reality would hit hard.

Bill walked into Mark's office, closed the door, and explained that his veteran benefits were paying for him to go through school, and with that funding he was purchasing some heart medication that was keeping him alive.  Unless he got an A in the algebra course he would lose his VA scholarship, he would not be able to afford his heart medication, and he would die.  "Basically, give me an A in this course or I will die."

I remember both men coming out of the office mad.  Bill was angry that his teacher would not save his life.  The teacher was angry that Bill would not only pressure him to lie about his grade, but threaten to blame him for killing him.  It wasn't pleasant.  Bill flunked.  No he did not die.

I guess in college you learn more than just math and statistics.  Sometimes you learn about personal responsibility.  "Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil;"  (2 Nephi 2:27).  You get the grade in life that you decide to earn, and there is no one else you can blame.  When judgement day comes God will not listen to "He didn't let me be as righteous as I wanted to be."

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matthew 7:22-23).  But I came to class most of the time!  I tried to do the homework!  Just let me into heaven because I really really want to.


I have seen this mentality since,
"I must pass, or I will lose my scholarship!"
"I need a B or I won't get into medical school!"
"My parents are coming to see me graduate - but I need to pass your class!"
Or my favorite:
"If I don't pass the army will ship me to Afghanistan where I will be shot!"

I try to be sympathetic, but I cannot allow a passing grade in my class mean someone had a good excuse.  Keep in mind their GPA is a mixture of several grades, not just my class.  The rules are clearly defined at the beginning, and I cannot change the rules for one student, and not change them for another.  To be truly just I have to give the students the grade they earn based on the rules in the class syllabus.  To make exceptions would mean a degree from my university doesn't really mean anything.

So how do you pass the class?  There's only one way, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." (Matthew 5:48).  Would you like to check your current grade standing?  "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" (Romans 3:23).  In other words, you're flunking life.  But don't freak out yet, there is an extra credit assignment that can save you.  "And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved." (Omni 1:26)

No comments:

Post a Comment